This Vegan Strawberry Basil Galette is a perfect summery dessert – a little sweet, a little savory, and a lot of fancy! And it takes little time and skill to make!
The first time I saw a galette, I couldn’t believe me eyes! A flat pie? No fussing with fancy edges? And no pressure on making it look perfect! This was for me!
In fact, when a dish I make doesn’t come out Instagram-worthy, I’m known for brushing it off and exclaiming, “E rustico!”
Flavor over perfection, you know!
That’s why I love Italian food! (Other than being Italian and brought up on it!) If a pizza doesn’t come out perfectly round? Eh! If the Focaccia has a bubble? Rustico!
And guess what!?
Je t’aime the French, too!
The galette is a gift from our French friends known for their millions of years (probably) of baking and pastry skills, and a flair for the rustic! (If rustic can have flair!)
A galette is typically flat and round, and can have sweet or a savory filling. You will love this dessert because it is easy with minimal ingredients and you don’t have to fuss over the crust as you would in a pie! So, let’s get to it!
Fresh Strawberries. They are now in season, with the best flavor, so there is no excuse not to use fresh. If you are reading this in January, it’s ok to use frozen. Just be sure to purchase SLICED frozen strawberries.
Fresh Basil. If you do not care for basil, or only have dried, then you can leave it out. C’est la vie!
Tapioca Flour. This is my go-to thickener for pies and fruit galettes. If you don’t have it, cornstarch is okay.
Fresh Ground Black Pepper. Yes, you read that right! I mention here because I didn’t want you to see in the the recipe card below and think it was a typo! The pepper accentuates both the basil and the strawberry flavors, and I promise you wan’t taste it!
Lemon Juice. Always use fresh citrus for EVERY recipe that calls for it. The bottled kind can be tempting, but it has a tangy and artificial aftertaste. What to do with the other half of the lemon? Slice it up, and toss it in your water for a refreshing treat!
How to make this Strawberry Basil Galette:
Make the crust. Add 2/3 cup vegan butter – I used Earth Balance – to the dry ingredients. Use a butter knife to cut small pieces out of your measuring cup into the flour mixture. In other words, don’t add it all in one clump.
With a pastry cutter or a fork (but get a pastry cutter, you will be using it a lot!) work the butter into the dough until it looks like little pebbles. Now stir in the ice water two tablespoons at a time until it comes together. Shape into a disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least an hour.
Make the Filling. Remove stems and slice the strawberries about a 1/4 inch thick. Add the sugar, 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup depending on your desired level of sweetness, along with the rest of the ingredients. Set aside and roll out your crust.
Rolling the Crust: Unwrap the dough and place between the two sheets of parchment. Using the palm of your hand, flatten the dough out a bit making sure you are paying close attention to keep the circle shape. Roll, turning the dough to keep the circle shape until it’s about 12″ in diameter. Remove the top sheet of parchment and slide the bottom sheet with crust onto your baking sheet.
Fill the crust. Scoop the filling directly onto the center of the crust and push down and spread it out with your hands. Leave about 2-inches of space around the outside for folding over the filling.
Fold the Crust. Fold the crust in sections, imaging that you are making a geometric shape, like a hexagon or octagon pinching the dough as you fold.
Brush the “Egg” Wash. This will make the crust golden and shiny! Brush the wash onto the crust, then arrange the almond slices, pressing them down gently to stay in place. Brush again over the almonds. Sprinkle the crust lightly with granulated sugar. Then bake!
As a result of my love for this rustic dessert and all of the possibilities, I was thinking about doing a Galette-a-Month post with seasonal fruits and vegetables – and vegan cheeses, too!
Let me know in the comments if you would like to see that! And let me know if you were inspired to try this recipe, too!
Vegan Strawberry Basil Galette
For the Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 7-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced or frozen sliced strawberries
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 grinds fresh black pepper
For the Vegan "Egg" Wash:
- 1 tablespoon soy milk (preferred)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Make the Dough for the Crust:
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt.
- Add 2/3 cup vegan butter – I used Earth Balance – by using a knife to cut small pieces out of your measuring cup into the flour mixture.
- With a pastry cutter (or a fork) and work the butter into the dough until it looks like little pebbles. .
- Using a spatula, stir in the ice water two tablespoons at a time until you get to six tablespoons. Then add the seventh and eighth, if needed. Don't overwork the dough!
- Just get it to the point of coming together and then handing minimally, quickly shape it into a disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Make the Filling:
- Remove stems and slice the strawberries about a 1/4 inch thick. Add the sugar 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup depending on your desired level of sweetness. Add tapioca flour and lemon juice and stir. Add two grinds of fresh ground black pepper and stir again. Set aside and roll out your crust.
Roll the Crust:
- Have ready a large, rimmed baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut two long sheets of parchment the size of the baking sheet. Unwrap the dough disc and place between the sheets of parchment on your counter or rolling surface. Now take the palm and heel of your hand and flatten the dough out making sure you are paying close attention to keep the circle shape.
- Turn the dough as you roll to keep the circle shape until it's the same thickness all the way around. Your circle should be about 12" in diameter. Remove the top sheet of parchment and slide the bottom sheet with your crust onto your baking sheet.
Assemble the Galette:
- Spoon filling directly into the center of the crust spreading it out with your hands. Leave about 2-inches of space around the outside to fold pastry over the filling. .
- Fold the crust over the filling in sections, pinching any openings or cracks.
- Mix the soy milk and maple syrup in small bowl. With a pastry brush, coat the wash onto the outer crust. Arrange almond slices onto the crust pressing them down gently to stay in place. Then brush the wash over the almonds. Sprinkle the whole crust lightly with granulated sugar using your fingers.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for about 30- 40 minutes until golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Let cool before slicing. Can be served warm if filling is set up.