If life is a bowl of cherries, then life is this Vegan Cherry-Chocolate Smoothie Bowl!
I love smoothie bowls. What’s not to love? It’s like a healthy version of ice cream, loaded with toppings, that you can eat for breakfast! Or lunch or dinner!
Smoothie bowls are real-food, whole-food goodness. Loaded with toppings: fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, nut butters and granola.
While I do buy smoothie bowls out about once a month, I make my own much more frequently.
This smoothie bowl was inspired by Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream (vegan, of course!)
Stir-in mini chocolate chips for the ultimate Cherry Garcia experience!
Tips for making amazing smoothie bowls
Frozen fruit. The key to making amazing smoothie bowls is using frozen fruit. I’m in the habit of freezing a couple bananas a week, so I’m always ready to make smoothies or smoothie bowls. I typically use purchased frozen cherries, but this time I wanted to use the new cherry pitter that I bought on Amazon, so I froze my own!
Blender tricks. Add the frozen fruit to the blender first and give it a couple pulses to give it a chop. It will look like cherry and banana relish.
Scrape. You will need a good silicone spatula to scrape down the sides often.
Increase speed. After you add all of your smoothie bowl ingredients to the blender, begin on low speed, then increase speed as you see the mixture starting to look like soft serve.
Soft serve. You want the consistency to be a super thick smoothie, so it will hold the toppings. Add plant milk of choice a tablespoon at a time until it looks like soft serve ice cream!
If you make this bowl or were inspired to make your own smoothie bowl, please let me know in the comments, and tag me on Instagram, too!
Vegan Cherry-Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
- 1 heaping cup frozen sweet cherries
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk + more for as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- shredded coconut
- cacao nibs
- fresh fruit
- nut butter
- hemp seeds
- dried fruit
- Add frozen fruit to blender and pulse to break up fruit. Scrape down the sides and add almond milk, cacao powder and vanilla. Blend starting on low, stopping to scrape down the sides and increasing speed and adding more almond milk a tablespoon at a time until you achieve a soft serve consistency.
- Pour into two bowls and stir in mini chocolate chips, if using. Or reserve for topping.
- Top bowl with fresh fruit, granola, seeds, nuts and a heaping tablespoon or two of nut butter. Sprinkle with cacao nibs, if using. Enjoy!