Wrap yourself up in a bowl of this creamy, smoky, hearty Potato and Corn Chowder and ease yourself into the first week of fall.
While we are all wishing summer wasn’t over, we are also thinking about everything fall: cozy sweaters, colorful foliage, crisp mornings. What’s that? Yes, and pumpkin. We have plenty of time for pumpkin. We have to pace ourselves, people!
What I love about the cool weather coming back is the yearning for soup. Do people really yearn for soup? (FYI chowder is a rich soup!) It’s what I am yearning for, anyway!
This Smoky Potato and Corn Chowder is the perfect warm and fuzzy meal to go with your favorite warm and fuzzy blanket that you are curling up with right now reading this recipe.
I say, “Go and make it already!”
I used charred corn from Trader Joe’s here for easy chowder-making, and cashew cream to ensure a full-bodied bowl of goodness!
For garnish, I HIGHLY recommend tempeh bacon crumbles, corn kernels, thinly sliced scallions and a sprinkle of chipotle powder if you want to add some heat.
If you try this recipe, sing it loud in the comments! And if you love it as I know you will, sing it louder on Instagram and tag me so I can see you singing!
Happy Fall and Happy Cooking!
Vegan Smoky Potato and Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound yellow potatoes, washed cut into bitesize cubes I used baby fingerling potatoes and cut them bitesize.
- 2 cups frozen corn I used frozen charred corn from Trader Joe's
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Tempeh Bacon Recipe here: https://realfoodkindfood.com/2020/08/28/vegan-pasta-and-peas/
- thinly sliced scallions
- corn kernels
- chipotle powder
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, cook 5-7 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, cook one minute more.
- Add brown sugar and cook for about 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
- Add water and potatoes. Bring to a boil. You can turn up heat. When it reaches a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and soft.
- When potatoes are done, add corn and cook about 3 minutes until heated through. Add smoked paprika.
- With an immersion blender, puree about 3/4 of the chowder leaving it a little chunky so you can still see some of the corn. Or put 3/4 of the soup in a blender and pulse until relatively smooth. You want a lot of texture still.
- In a blender, puree cashews with 1/2 cup water until smooth. This may take a few minutes depending on the speed and power of your blender.
- Stir cashew cream into the chowder until incorporated and remove from heat. Garnish and enjoy!