This pumpkin-y chili is a comforting fall treat! Ready in under 30 minutes, this protein-packed chili is great for meal-prep or a quick weeknight meal.
I created this chili when I had a pumpkin muffin craving and only a 25 ounce can of pumpkin. Since I do not like to waste and I couldn’t think of a good reason to have 2 dozen pumpkin muffins in my kitchen, I decided that I needed to do something healthy with the rest of that pumpkin!
Pumpkin Quinoa Black Bean Chili was born! Or cooked.
Since I always make quinoa in the instant pot each Sunday, this chili came together in no time.
This is a great Sunday meal prep recipe, too!
I hope you love this chili as much as I do. Let me know in the comments! And tag me on Instagram, too!
Pumpkin Quinoa Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or water for oil-free)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 4 oz can green chilis
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil or water in a large pot over medium hear.
- Add onions and pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, green chilis. Cook one minute more.
- Add spices. Stir to coat vegetables.
- Add pumpkin, tomatoes and water. Stir to incorporate. Bring to boil and cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to simmer and add beans and quinoa. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until beans are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and scallions. (See note to raise the level of heat)
- Add more chili powder, chipotle powder for desired heat. This is a mild chili as written. Add heat as desired.